How To Make Rice Krispies Treats. Homemade RKT Recipe
Here’s the perfect recipe for Rice Krispies Treats.
As you may already know, RKT is a very useful tool to make otherwise impossible sculpted cakes. RKT is known to be a rice and marshmallow mass that sticks like hell.
Rice Krispies Treats: pros
RKT is a real lifesaver for creative pastry. Thanks to it, you can create incredible figures. This amazing mass provides significant benefits and I’m sure you will discover a lot more when you try it:
- It cools and hardens somewhat quickly.
- It is not expensive.
- You need little equipment.
- It’s an easy recipe.
- It allows you to make light, irregular shapes and much more.
How to make homemade RKT
You can watch this video below for a homemade RKT recipe. You will also find all the steps on this post in case you need further detailed information.
What do I need to make the recipe?
- A big bowl
- A silicone spatula
- A microwave or a frying pan
- A greased working surface
- Plastic wrap
- Refrigerator (optional)
How to elaborate RKT
- Put the butter in the bowl and melt it in the microwave.
- Spread the butter all over the bowl, pour the marshmallows in it and microwave them for 2 minutes. After that, grease a silicone spatula and stir until you get a spongy, homogeneous mass. If you want the RKT to have a toasted flavour, melt the butter in a frying pan and add the marshmallows in the same pan (as a microwave substitute).
- Pour 2/3 of the rice into the bowl and integrate with a well greased spatula to prevent sticking. Once integrated, pour the rest of the rice and repeat the process.
- When you’re not able to remove it with the spatula anymore, grease a smooth surface and put the mix on it. Grease your own hands and knead until the mass becomes a solid block.
- Wrap it with plastic and let it rest for a few hours. In summer, it’s better to put it in the fridge.
It’s almost impossible to make any mistakes whilst elaborating this recipe, as it is really easy. After having elaborated a giant amount of RKT in my studio or with my students, I noted that the biggest problem you may have is the mass sticking everywhere. If this happens to you, the best solution is to properly grease whatever the mass will be in contact with. If you see that the mass is really sticky, you better wash your hands as well as the working surface, and regrease.